Re: [sustran] Skyway proposal ‘mind-boggling,’ says rival firm

Bert Fabian bert.fabian at cai-asia.org
Sun Mar 4 14:18:46 JST 2012

Dear Roselle,

I can imagine your frustration reading about these competing private-sector
led proposals on road expansion aimed to alleviate traffic congestion like
this Skyway proposals. There is another one - the Skybridge proposal by the
MMDA over the Metro Manila esteros - and this promises to take 40% of
vehicle traffic (private) from EDSA. Though, there are efforts to improve
public transport - buses, jeepneys, tricycles and rail plus improving NMT
access, it is clear that current efforts are not enough to really address
the needs of commuters and pedestrians. Especially considering that about
70% of our passenger trips in Metro Manila are borne by public transport.

Dear Cornie, Carlos, and Lloyd,

Yes Cornie is right, civil society here can be quite strong if they want to
be, and especially if there is some kind of consensus on what needs to be
done. Unfortunately, many civil society groups are mainly composed of the
car-owning middle class who seems to be supporting these type of projects
because it promises to make their trips much better. There are really not
that many sustainable transport (PT + NMT) advocate groups (though growing
steadily)..

It is a bit disappointing that years of lobbying for sustainable transport
is being overrun because of successive changes of leadership in the
Department of Transport, and now with this current PPP initiative of
government to spur transport infrastructure investments and economic
growth. As usual, proposals are more on the building/ expansion of roads.

Of course, we're not taking this sitting down.. we and a few others are
directly lobbying/ discussing with senior officials and starting to discuss
directly with the private sector proponents (there is an ongoing New
Mobility Project supported by the Rockefeller Foundation and I think this
falls under their objectives as well). But I agree we need to have a more
comprehensive public campaign/ dialogue and get our advocacy more in the
media.. It would also extremely help if we can get statements (e.g. for
news articles) from organizations like the ADB, WB and others, that these
kind of solutions will not work and only aggravate the situation.

Best regards,
Bert