[sustran] Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flyover epidemic continues ... hell with "The National Urban Transport Policy" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rutul Joshi joshirutul at yahoo.co.in
Tue Jun 12 14:42:02 JST 2012

Hi Sujit and others,

The figures available on the urban renewal mission website (http://jnnurm.nic.in/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Approved-projects-sectorwise.pdf) says that -

	* Out of the total central funding of about 171 billion INR, whooping 17,040
millions INR are spent on "Roads/Flyovers" with another 843 millions on
stand-alone parking structures. This makes it about 10.42 percent of
total central funding. This means the urban mission places 'Roads/Flyovers' as the most important priority after sectors such as
water supply, sewerage and drainage.

	* Compared
to that, only about 16,114 millions INR are spent under the title of
'Mass rapid transport systems'. Some of the mass rapid transit plans
included their own flyovers/bridges as part of this cost. And we also
know that some cities like Pune is believed to have taken this money and widened roads instead of attempting to build any mass transit system.
Well, this is the state of affairs after six years of existence of the
'National Urban Transport Policy' which vouched for the 'streets for
people' and 'not roads for vehicles'. We seems to be spending much more
on Roads/Flyovers with the central funding then on the mass rapid
transit systems. Why should the national government fund the
roads/flyovers? In any case, lots of cities spend on roads/flyovers on their own.

Rutul

Rutul Joshi,
Assistant Professor,  Faculty of Planning and Public Policy,
CEPT University,  Ahmedabad - 380009.