[sustran] Re: Thinking Outside the Bus

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:38:04 JST 2012

Just to weigh on another side of the discussion, having lots of
services at one stop makes it difficul for users to know what bus they
should take unless there is an excellent information system (sometimes
only a digital version is useful, and there are cannot be enough of
these in stations - via smartphones is a solution). I once took part
in a project where I had to evaluate users' level of understanding of
the TransMilenio information systems, and we found that people were
often confused with the wide range of services and hatee looking at
maps, ended up riding the wrong buses and lost time trying to
understand where to take their service (granted, this is not the case
for everyday users). Of course, the report we gave to the municipality
is not available to the public (!) and the solutions we proposed were
not implemented (and we haven't received feedback from government
regarding if/when they will).

I think you can develop complex and multiple services to the point
that users are able to understand them properly and with little
effort, or to the point that technology and good graphic design can
reduce the need for users to engage in a complex cartographic research
project every time they change their trip/destination.

(I can't comment on this aspect for the Guangzhou BRT because all
signage and information systems were in Chinese when I was there).

Pardo

Probably written while riding a bicycle. Please excuse typos.