[sustran] Re: "So much for green transport."

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 27 00:52:09 JST 2012

Eric,

I absolutely agree.

They -- and indeed, many high income Indians in cities -- have an (almost exclusively) "windshield view" of the world, because they are pretty much driven door to door everywhere. What makes things even worse is that, because they do not have to bother with wrestling with congestion on a daily basis or finding parking spots (their drivers, who are pretty much at their beck and call 24/7, do that for them as they sit in the back seat), they bear not the slightest bit of the costs that their going around in cars imposes, which of course means that they have no incentive whatsoever not to continue to be driven around endlessly in cars. That this is now causing India to become the diabetes capital of the world is a whole different story.

Madhav

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University

Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada