[sustran] Re: "So much for green transport."

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 26 23:27:31 JST 2012

Alok

No, it isn't heresy. It is standard practice for neoclassical
cost-benefit analysis. We may
think it is a bad idea, but it is quite common.

The way to criticize it so that the public understands what an outrage
it can be is to
compare saving 5 minutes for a wealthy business person's commute with
saving a full hour
for a poor person. If the rich person earns 12 times as much, then
according to this technique
saving the rich person 5 minutes is just as valuable as saving the
poor person a full hour.

Even worse, using this kind of justification for time savings promotes
sprawl. All evidence shows
that eventually time saved turns into longer commuting distance instead.

Eric Bruun