[sustran] Re: UN HABITAT quick guides on sustainable mobility, call for interest

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 21:44:57 JST 2012

Thanks Lisa, for conveying this to the group.

However the content does not infuse me with optimism ..
I am sorry if I put this too bluntly, but the process around this project, seems quite unambitious and bureaucratic to me. And not a very open, collaborative process (?)

Additionally they do not seem to be wanting NGO's on board at all, only consultancies (?)

My final criticism is their wording in the only instance where active transport is specifically mentioned. It is to be "promoted".

What is needed is much more radical : reallocation of space in favour of active transport modes. A redistribution of investments so, that (indirect) subsidies car users are reduced.  Especially if one takes the externalities of motorized transport into account : Barrier effects (reducing public health and efficiency benefits achieved through active transport), pollution of at least five main types, land-use/sprawl, etc)

I know I am preaching to the choir, but perhaps some of you can offer consolation or hope that this exercise by UN Habitat will actually move things forwards, instead of just regurgitating cautious adjustments to a perilous Business as usual.

--
Regards / Kveðja / Hilsen
Morten Lange, Reykjavík