[sustran] WorldTransport Forum local businesses suffer financially when a zone is pedestrianized

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Jul 6 02:19:02 JST 2012

From: RodneyTolley [mailto:r.s.tolley at btopenworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, 05 July, 2012 13:48
To: eric.britton at ecoplan.org

Helo Eric,

Thank you for your call last week. Here is the contribution to the economic
debate as promised:

Readers may be interested in a discussion paper I produced for the South
Australian Heart Foundation in November 2011 called "Good for Busine$$: the
benefits of making streets more walking and cycling friendly". It does not
pretend to be new research, but aims to be an accessible calling card for
communities and traders, a summary of key evidence to date on the 'retail
vitality/access on foot and bike' issue. It is available at:

http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/GoodforBusinessFIN
AL_Nov.pdf

And no, I didn't find any evidence that local businesses suffer financially
from access improvements for people on foot or on bikes.

Rodney

Dr Rodney Tolley
Conference Director,Walk21
Honorary Research Fellow, Staffordshire University
Phone (Mobile) +44(0)7788753305
email r.s.tolley at btopenworld.com