[sustran] Re: [KyotoWorldCities] Equitable Transportation

Gabriel Roth roths at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 23 00:34:52 JST 2012

Eric -

My comment was made in the light of a recent exchange with the esteemed other Eric, which I reproduce below.

However, more fundamentally, many concerns about "Equity" in transport relate to income inequality, and with the reality that those with more money can get better deals. But this is fundamental to the market system, which enables some to be richer than others. What I meant was that objections to the market system (which has been found to be best at raising overall living standards) are better discussed elsewhere, not on a site dealing with roads and urban development.

I suppose I could have written more about "Equity" which, incidentally, is rarely defined by those who use that word. Do those who write about transport "equity" consider the equity of forcing low-income taxpayers to subsidize rail systems used mostly (in the UK and US) by those with higher incomes? Or the "equity" of requiring all in congested traffic to travel at the same, low, speed? Or of subsidizing high-cost unionized transit systems, while prohibiting low-cost, high-frequency, transit provided by shared taxis and associations of privately-owned minibuses?

This is why some of us have been focusing on trying to get the most benefits out of our roads by applying to them the pricing and investment criteria we use for the allocation of other scarce resources, such as food, water and telecommunications. Such policies would enable those with urgent needs to be able pay more to travel more quickly, as in the Singapore and Stockholm congestion pricing zones. Many know that Singapore and Sweden, that adopt such policies, are not the poorest countries in the world.

Best wishes -

Gabriel

***************************************
But if the 1% include ambulances, food delivery vans, people trying to catch planes, police trying to catch law-breakers, is it "equitable" to restrict their ability to travel faster ?

On Jan 8, 2012, at 3:02 AM, eric britton wrote:

> So right Gabriel. So very right.  My response:

> My best response (for now)

> This is, if I may say it, an amazingly simple approach to transport policy and practice, in that once you understand and accept the basic principle a huge number of other good things follow. And you have only to look in one place to see if you have it -- and that is on the streets of your city. If the mayor, all public servants, and the top economic 1% of your community travel by the same means as the other 99%, you have an equitable system. Sometimes life is simple

> That's my point of departure in the first day of my pondering this new initiative. But be sure, I shall be working on it, and your note of caution is extremely appreciated.

> All the best/Eric

> _______________

> EcoPlan International

Association loi de 1901

> Eric Britton, Managing Director

> Un projet de l'Association Ecoplan International (Loi de 1901)

> 8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  •  Paris 75006 France

> +331 7550 3788
association at ecoplan.org    •  Skype newmobility

    Sustainable Development, Business & Society | World Streets  | New Mobility Partnerships

Siret 304555295 00019  Arrêté du ministre de l’intérieur. 19 août 1975

 Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement