[sustran] Re: Jakarta plans "Odds and Evens" license plate traffic rationing

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Dec 19 01:51:33 JST 2012

I agree that vehicle restrictions based on license plate numbers are
probably not very effective at reducing air pollution since many trips
(errands, shopping, social visits, etc.) are simply deferred from one day to
another, and they are economically inefficient because they lack
flexibility, for example, if a residents really needs to make a trip during
their no-drive day. Some objective research does indicate that vehicle
license plate restrictions applied over long periods encourages some
households to purchase additional vehicles, which where often cheap, old,
high polluting cars. See:
Haynes Goddard (1997), "Using Tradable Permits to Achieve Sustainability in
the World's Large Cities," Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 10,
1997, pp. 63-99; at
http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1023%2FA%3A1026444113237.

There are much more effective and efficient ways to reduce urban vehicle
travel, some of which generate revenues that can be used to improve
alternative modes. The best is simply to efficiently price parking and
eliminate minimum parking requirements. As Don Shoup says, free parking is a
fertility drug for cars. As much as possible on-street parking should be
priced, parking should be unbundled (rented separately from building space,
so apartment residents only pay for the number of parking spaces they need),
and employers should price or cash out commuter parking (so commuters who
don't drive receive a cash bonus equivalent to the value of free parking
provided to motorists).

Road space reallocation (also called "complete streets" policies), with
wider sidewalks and improved crosswalks, bike lanes and bus lanes, and lower
design speeds on urban arterials, give efficient modes priority over
automobile traffic. Restrictions on vehicle ownership, such as Singapore's
lottery, and congestion pricing such as in London and Stockholm, are good
but more difficult to implement.

For information see:

"Vehicle Restrictions" chapter of the Online TDM Encyclopedia
(www.vtpi.org/tdm )

Paul Barter (2010) Parking Policy in Asian Cities, Asian Development Bank
(www.adb.org); at
http://beta.adb.org/publications/parking-policy-asian-cities. Also see
www.slideshare.net/PaulBarter/barter-for-adb-transport-forum-2010.

Beijing Transport Demand Management (www.tdm-beijing.org) aims to identify
and evaluate suitable non-technical measures to reducing vehicle traffic and
associated pollution emissions.

GIZ (2011), Changing Course in Urban Transport- An Illustrated Guide,
Sustainable Urban Transport Project (www.sutp.org) Asia and GIZ; at
www.sutp.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2825.

ITDP (2011), Better Street, Better Cities: A Guide To Street Design In Urban
India, Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (www.itdp.org);
at www.itdp.org/betterstreets.

ITDP (2012), Transforming Urban Mobility In Mexico: Towards Accessible
Cities Less Reliant on Cars, Institute for Transportation and Development
Policy (www.mexico.itdp.org); at
http://mexico.itdp.org/wp-content/uploads/Transforming-Urban-Mobility-in-Mex
ico.pdf.

Santhosh Kodukula (2011), Raising Automobile Dependency: How to Break the
Trend?, GIZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (www.sutp.org); at
www.sutp.org/dn.php?file=TD-RAD-EN.pdf.

Todd Litman (2011), "Transport Pricing Reforms for More Efficient Cities:
Options and Impacts," GEF-SUTP Quarterly Newsletter, Vol. 2/5; at
http://sutpindia.com/docs/SUTPNewsletter_january2012.pdf.

Frederik Strompen, Todd Litman and Daniel Bongardt (2012), Reducing Carbon
Emissions through TDM Strategies - A Review of International Examples,
Transportation Demand Management in Beijing
(http://tdm-beijing.org/index.php) GIZ and the Beijing Transportation
Research Centre; at
http://tdm-beijing.org/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=category&cid=1
2&Itemid=9&lang=en; direct link at
http://tdm-beijing.org/files/International_Review.pdf; summary at
http://tdm-beijing.org/files/International_Review_Executive_Summary.pdf.

UTTIPEC (2010), Parking Policy as a Travel Demand Management Strategy, Delhi
Development Authority (www.uttipec.nic.in); at
www.uttipec.nic.in/writereaddata/linkimages/7460355562.pdf.

Lloyd Wright (2009), Environmentally Sustainable Transport For Asian Cities:
A Sourcebook, United Nations Centre for Regional Development
(www.uncrd.org.jp); at
http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/uncrd/unpan031844.pdf.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
facebook.com/todd.litman
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"