[sustran] Re: WorldTransport Forum Editorial: No FPT without SCR

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 13 16:37:31 JST 2012

Yes, this is an interesting subject. A few additional points:

1) The "free market" for parking doesn't always work, so there is a
case for regulating pricing.
For example, many cities have "early bird" pricing where the person
staying all day in private parking gets a steep discount and the
person who stays for an hour or two in public parking on the street
gets gouged. This is exactly the opposite of how it should be. It
incentivizes driving the car to work and going to the suburbs to
conduct shopping, business, visits to clinics, etc.

2) The only place where public transport should be "free", meaning no
fares, is where the cost recovery factor is low anyway. In such cases,
the money processing uses up a significant part of the revenue
collected and there probably are no congestion issues. If you don't
have fares, especially during the peak hours, then the system gets
overloaded with people going a short distance, which means either
further very high expense to add peak capacity and the incentivizing
of a shift to private transport for those who can afford to avoid
overcrowding. Furthermore, the the revenue is needed to make
improvements to service. Ultimately, a system with fares simply wont'
be as good....

Eric Bruun