[sustran] Re: WorldTransport Forum Editorial: No FPT without SCR

Dave Holladay tramsol at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 00:57:17 JST 2012

Eric

There is no such thing as a free lunch - you pay to use a car so you pay
to use public transport.

How you pay and what you pay might be the issue but I'm totally against
Free as the concept

Public Transport might be underwritten by organisations who make massive
savings on providing car parking - some London companies reckon on
saving £9K per year for every employee who does not need a car park
space on their HQ site in West London, typically many will be giving
each car driving employee parking to the value of £2K-£3K per year, so
why not switch the offer to include ALL employees rather that the select
few who opt to bring in their own cars, and expect free parking.

Expand this to all parking - after all in the UK and for many other
legislations the only commitment made by government is to provide roads
for moving traffic, so ditch all provision for parking - provide roads
ONLY for people moving around - on foot on bikes, on buses, in cars.

A move to equate all travel costs through a common tariff will also help
so that the cost of parking - at all times - can be totalled up against
the cost of using a public service system.  Parking on or off the street
at home or at the destination will have a price which can then be
measured against the price for taking a publicly available service.

Imagine if owning a car delivered the cost of paying for where it sits
still at all the times it isn't moving.

Dave