[sustran] Awful Injustice in Parking

Paul Barter paulbarter at reinventingtransport.org
Mon Dec 10 22:05:30 JST 2012

*[I would value any comments on this from sustran-discussers, either here
on the list, or in the comments at
http://www.reinventingparking.org/2012/12/awful-injustice-in-parking.html]*

*New article at Reinventing Parking:   AWFUL INJUSTICE IN PARKING*
*
*
Misguided parking policy is harmful and unjust.

No surprise there, you may say. There is no shortage of complaints about
parking prices ("unfair!") and about how difficult it is to find parking.
We hear the same thing all over the world, whether in Sydney, San
Francisco, Singapore, Moscow, Delhi , Jakarta, Beijing, Sao Paolo, Lagos or
Nairobi.

Sorry to be unsympathetic. But complaints like those are a problem. They
are fuel for the never-ending push for more parking and cheaper parking.

So what?

It is a problem because the push for cheap parking and more parking is a
cause of terrible injustice in many cities.

Injustice? Surely I am exaggerating?

I don't think so. I am arguing that the supply-obsessed conventional
approach to parking policy starves cities of funds for crucial services.
 And I am arguing that this a big deal.

It might not be a life and death matter in Los Angeles or Melbourne or
Paris where motorists are cynical about parking revenue raising, as if
revenue for local governments is a bad thing.

But in Dhaka or Dakar making the local government too cash strapped
absolutely can put lives on the line.

CONTINUED AT
http://www.reinventingparking.org/2012/12/awful-injustice-in-parking.html

--