[sustran] Extending Sustran

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Aug 24 20:18:54 JST 2012

Dear Sustraners,

Here's an idea which I put before you for your comments and suggestions. It
involves a Facebook Sustran Global South page which we set up at
http://www.facebook.com/groups/worldstreets/  and which we propose as a
possible complement to the original Sustran-Discuss site launched in the
late nineties at  http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss. I
personally have no fixed ideas on this, but let me share with you my
thoughts.

Hate or love Facebook we at least are finding that it is a valuable tool and
part of our overall communications strategy.  The software behind the pages
that we work with is being steadily improved, and we are finding it a lot
more efficient than the Yahoo Groups fora that we started to set up already
in the mid-nineties.  I like that it permits the easy exchange of images,
photographs, and videos , as well as handling html pretty well, all of which
makes a nice addition.

The popular original Sustran-Discuss Forum offers a fine collaborative
platform for exchanging information, ideas and comments and serves us well
for peer exchanges in matters involving specifically sustainable transport
in the Global South for more than a dozen years now. But as we have seen in
linking the main World Streets site (www.WorldStreets.org) to a parallel
Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/worldstreets, there is good
potential for creative interaction between the two which increases both the
reach and the depth of the discussions. The W/S Facebook page, for example,
currently brings in an additional 1453 (as of this morning)  cogent minds to
the issues.

Today and without really trying we have a modest 67 members on the Sustran
page, but it is at least a start.   Again, my hope is that the two devices
will enhance and support each other.

I look forward to your reactions and suggestions on this.  If you have
questions, let me try to answer them here or directly to me via
eric.britton at ecoplan.org.

  Francis  Eric Knight-Britton, Managing Director /  Editor

   <http://www.newmobility.org/> New Mobility Partnerships   |
<http://www.worldstreets.org/> World Streets  |
<http://equitytransport.wordpress.com/> The Equity/Transport Project

  9, rue Gabillot   69003 Lyon France  |  T. +339 8326 9459| M. +336 5088
0787  | E.  <mailto:eric.britton at ecoplan.org> eric.britton at ecoplan.org   |
S. newmobility

  9440 Readcrest Drive. Los Angeles, CA  90210  |   Tel. +1 213  985 3501  |
eric.britton at newmobility.org  |  Skype: ericbritton