[sustran] Janette Sadik-Khan: Bicycle Visionary

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 03:59:09 JST 2011

*SOMETHING lovely and all too rare happened to Janette Sadik-Khan, New York
City’s frequently demonized transportation commissioner, as she and I rode
our bikes down Park Avenue South one morning last month: Sadik-Khan got
unsolicited, unfettered prais**e.*

Do read this article to see how one official with the right ideas
can transform the face of a city - even when that city is New York !!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/opinion/sunday/bruni-janette-sadik-khan-bicycle-visionary.html?emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

In contrast Pune a city once known as the Cycling City is doing everything
possible to delay (or even kill) its *Public Bicycle Scheme. *Our elected
representatives who think nothing of wasting public funds on
Car-centric developments such as flyovers and elevated roads are suddenly
asking why the city is wasting 3 crores on its Public Bicycle Scheme.

--
Sujit

*“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“*

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627