[sustran] Re: [GATNET] RE: FW: Info African bikesharing sites

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Oct 8 00:38:52 JST 2011

I like the direction you are heading on this Carlos, but I still wonder
about your a priori, i.e., it looks to me on the basis of what I see in your
questions that you are looking for "formal" bike sharing as practiced for
the most part in the North/West. Fair enough, but as we know when you get
into the streets of Africa, India, etc., a rather different world emerges --
in which people may well be sharing bikes, but in an entirely different way.

I see a bit of a parallel there. A lot of those people who have decided to
look at "carsharing" end up looking for a specific cub-set, which in most
cases misses the informal carsharing that may, in the long run, be a much
more useful trail for the future.

Ain't it true that we end up seeing for the most part what we look for. It
kind be a form of blindness, eh?

But Carlos, all that said, I really like what you are doing and urging.
After all, there are close to a billion people on the continent. Most of who
are getting little useful attention and support for the ways in which they
are getting around in their daily lives.

You give me a thought. Even though we are all overstretched, might it not be
an idea for each of us to at least think about if and how to give say 20% of
our time in 2012 to lending a hand in Africa. Not to easy to do maybe, but
worthy of a good try.

Best/Eric

PS. I am copying this thread to our dear friends at Sustran as well as World
Bikes.