[sustran] Official apathy drowns 'Kochi Cat'

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 19:20:22 JST 2011

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kochi/Official-apathy-drowns-Kochi-Cat/articleshow/10762340.cms?prtpage=1

Official apathy drowns 'Kochi Cat'

George Adimathra, TNN | Nov 17, 2011, 04.19AM IST

KOCHI: The project Kochi Cat envisaged about a year ago to improve water
transportation facilities in Ernakulam remains in limbo. In the initial
stage, Cities Development Initiative for Asia (CDIA) submitted a
feasibility report on the project which cost the agency about Rs 1.5 crore.

High speed and low cost boat services were expected to be utilized under
this project. "If the project had been implemented, it would have taken the
development of the city to the next level," said Mercy Williams, who was
the mayor when the feasibility study was submitted in 2010."Our plan was to
recommend the project under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal
Mission (JNNURM). A total of Rs 100 crore was given to the corporation
by JNNURM for developing transportation, of which Rs 40 crore was spent on
low-floor buses. Unfortunately, our tenure got over by that time.

About Rs 60 crore remain unutilized and it is enough for implementing the
Kochi Cat project. If not utilized by 2012, the amount will lapse," she
added.According to her, the ambitious initiative would have connected
Vaduthala, Kumbalam, Chittor, Edakochi, Thevara, Vypeen, Fort Kochi and
Mattanchery through waterways and considerably reduced the time taken to
travel. A fleet of high speed boats and jangars would have helped people
reach various parts of the city within minutes."Recently a CIDA team was in
the city to do the follow up on their feasibility study, but they did not
receive a positive response from the corporation. KITCO, the consultants,
which was supposed to submit a study report, has not done so. I am sure
that funding would not be an issue. If not followed with a political will,
we will lose a chance to utilize our waterways, develop our city and reduce
traffic congestion," Mercy said.Meanwhile, deputy mayor Bhadra B told TOI
that the corporation was planning to launch its own water transportation
project. "However, this is not the Kochi Cat project, but an entirely
different one. At present, it is in its initial stage. As for Kochi Cat, we
might take necessary steps after we receive the study report," she
said.Kochi: At a time when state government is preparing several projects
to utilize the waterways in the district and to improve water
transportation facilities, Kochi Cat, a prestigious venture envisaged one
year back seems to have gone limbo.

Touted to provide a luxurious, high speed and low cost boat service
connecting Ernakulam through the existing waterways, the initial stage saw
Cites development initiative for Asia (CDIA) submitting a feasibility
report after studying Kochi setting. The report preparation that cost Rs
one and half crore unfortunately remains buried somewhere inside Cochin
Corporation. Mercy Williams who was the city mayor when the feasibility
study was submitted in 2010, told TOI that if implemented the Kochi Cat
would take city development to the next level. "Our plan was to recommend
the project under the Jawaharlal Nehru national urban renewal mission
(JNNURM). Kochi was allotted Rs 100 crore for development of transportation
by JNNURM, of which Rs 40 crore was spent for low floor buses.
Unfortunately our tenure got over by that time and no effort was seen taken
to get the project in motion. Rs 60 crore remains to be utilised and is
enough for Kochi Cat project but if not followed it within 2012, the amount
will get transpired," the former mayor said.According to Mercy, the
ambitious venture would have made Kochi connected with Vaduthala, Kumbalam,
Chittor, Edakochi, Thevara, Vypeen, Fort Kochi Mattanchery.

A fleet of high speed boats, Row Row boats, Jangars would have helped
people to reach various parts of the city within minutes. The boats would
also come with restaurants and toilets, and side by side infrastructure
development would have happened, she said."Recently a team from CIDA were
in Kochi to follow up their feasibility study, but they seemed to have not
received a positive response from Corporation. KITCO, the consultancy
agency who was supposed to submit a study report is yet to do so. I am sure
that funding would not be an issue, but if not followed with a political
will, we once gain would lose the chance to utilise our waterways, develop
our city and bring down road traffic congestion," Mercy said.Bhadra B,
current deputy mayor of Kochi said that Corporation is planning to launch
its own water transportation body. "However this is not the Kochi Cat
project, but an entirely different one. It is in the initial stage at the
moment. As for Kochi Cat we might take the necessary steps after we receive
study report," she said.