[sustran] Help before more flyovers are built!!

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Nov 10 19:02:43 JST 2011

Here is one possible way to go about it, Kanthi , that might do the trick in this case.

1.     You start with a neutral expert summary of the project, objectives, sponsors, funding sources, costs, locations, and organizations involved in the planning and decision-making process.  Basically, this is what they intend to do and this is how they are going to do it in this is how much it costs.

2.     Then perhaps a brief review of past experience with this approach in other parts of India, with some indication of costs, those responsible for taking the decisions, and the results on the ground.  Again all of this in a very neutral dispassionate tone.

3.     Then if possible, a summary of international experience in two parts.  First, where this approach is being applied in other places around the world and with what results (e.g., China, Thailand, Indonesia, etc.).  Second, what is the current position of places, cities, that are leading the way in terms of sustainable transportation and sustainable and livable cities.

4.     Then against this firm base, you can shift gears and deal with the issues immediately at hand in two parts.  First, and I believe this is going to be possible, to show the fundamental shortcomings of this approach, and then to suggest ALTERNATIVE POLICIES AND MEASURES that will deal with the concerns of the sponsoring organizations while at the same time not creating a high level of incivility and destruction that are associated with their proposed projects.

5.     In all this, I think that the tone would be that of the firm voice of reason, and as part of this might we try to get a number of our colleagues, Indian and international, to sign on to this as a recommendation to those concerned.

6.     This in hand, we can turn it into a major feature for World Streets and India Streets, and in our case we might put a very sardonic tone to the article.  In the hope that this may be picked up by both international and Indian sources and media.

That is quite a bit of work, but perhaps if we turn to Sustran and your contacts it will be possible to find people who are willing to share the burden here.  And to get the ball rolling on this, I will copy this to the group as well.

Let us see what happens.  I agree with you: it is important to take a firm position on such extremely bad policies and investments.

Best regards/Eric