[sustran] Re: BRT in Africa (was 'This is what happens when "green (private) cars" are promoted in the North')

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Wed Nov 9 09:38:55 JST 2011

Dear Joachim,

Thank you for opening a very interesting and timely question, and thanks
also to Colin for sharing the Lagos experience. I would like to add a
perspective which is complementary to the technical challenge, and would
be interested in the views of other Sustran readers.

In my opinion, there are three fundamental enablers for a BRT project (and
other forms of high quality bus scheme), and unfortunately they are
typically not adequately present in many sub-Saharan African cities. I
believe that the first one is the show-stopper - you don't have that, you
have nothing.

1) An effective city or metropolitan area authority (ideally a
transportation authority) that can lead, plan, and deliver the
transportation project, provide governance for the functioning system, and
that can establish a sustainable business model for it. Such an authority
is present in Lagos, Johannesburg, and Cape Town, which have implemented
BRT, but is absent in very many other African cities.
2) An effective and enforceable regulatory framework that can authorise
and properly manage the permitted BRT/high quality bus services, while
preventing encroachment or disruption by other bus and paratransit
operators. Such regulatory and enforcement frameworks are absent or weak
in virtually all sub-Saharan cities
3) Competent bus operators who can deliver quality bus services and
manage/sustain a viable business. Paratransit is the dominant form of
urban transit in sub-Saharan African cities, and much of the urban big bus
operations that does exist is either fragmented or of low corporate
capacity. The operating capacity required for BRT (vehicles, systems and
corporate) can be developed, but requires either transformation of the
paratransit sector or deep restructuring of the big bus sector. It can be
done, but with much effort and a not-insignificant risk of failure or
excessive compromise.

In African cities, it is usually necessary to develop the framework as
part of the BRT project, in contrast to developed countries where a BRT
project is developed within an already-existing framework. This is, to put
it mildly, a significant additional burden, which is added to the
financial and political tab of the BRT project.

In the African context, these issues are unavoidably on the table and must
be addressed in order that a BRT project can be implemented.  This is
equally true whether we seek an 'African solution' or to import a South
American- or Asian-style solution. Nonetheless, the point is well taken
that an 'African solution' at the transport and technology levels should
stand a better chance of also finding an implementable African solution at
the institutional, regulatory and business levels.

All that said, there is no reason why BRT cannot be implemented in more
than the current three African cities which have already done so - even if
it is harder work. Lagos has shown us the 'no-frills' approach which has
been focussed, swift and effective. Johannesburg and Cape Town have shown
us the transformational model. Time will tell whether either or both of
these approaches is sustainable over the long-haul, including the vehicle
and system assets renewal cycles. Regardless of their degree of success, I
do expect to see other African models emerge.

With best wishes,

Brendan.

p.s. "Necessity is the Mother of Invention". It is worth remembering that
many of the early BRT were implemented as creative solutions precisely
because those cities had lots of problems and very little money.
Brendan Finn          e-mail : etts at indigo.ie          tel :
+353.87.2530286