[sustran] Here is a great collaborative project that will I am sure interest you

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue May 24 16:19:16 JST 2011

A Sustainable World
                    Make it yours
            Paris. Tuesday, 24 May, 2011

Dear friends,

Here is a great collaborative project that will I am sure interest you and
possibly some of you might actually want to pitch in. Let's take it by the
numbers.

1.       The irrepressible Elizabeth Press who is Producer/Editor of
Streetfilms in NYC, has the great idea of working with an easy to use
sub-title software package to put sub-titles in other languages to the
exceptionally useful StreetFilms series on "Moving beyond the automobile".
You can see all about it at
http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/kGFgTfq4Cm4K/info/Moving%20Beyon
d%20the%20Automobile:%20Highway%20Removal/

2.       She asked me yesterday if we could lend a hand with a first round
of translations to check out the software and routines. Her words: " We are
trying out some new software for  <http://streetfilms.org> streetfilms.org
and before we open it up to a fully crowd sourced project we are asking a
few friendly folks in they would be interested in helping us test the
software. I did the English subtitles on this video.

<http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/kGFgTfq4Cm4K/info/Moving%20Beyo
nd%20the%20Automobile:%20Highway%20Removal/>
http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/videos/kGFgTfq4Cm4K/info/Moving%20Beyon
d%20the%20Automobile:%20Highway%20Removal/
You can see under the video is a tab that says select Language and English
is 100% but in that drop down menu you can choose other languages and will
be guided through adding translation to the video. (Note: You can also in
the top right hand corner switch the website navigation to other languages
as well)
Would any of you be willing to login to that universal subtitles website and
add Subtitles to the video and let me know what the process is like for
you?"

3.       So I immediately got in touch with five of our work partners whose
first language is, respectively, French, Italian, Persian Spanish and
Portuguese – and invited them to take a shot.

4.       First through the gate was Luis N Filipe of Portugal, who took the
time last night to do the first non-English subtitles, in Portuguese. He
wrote this morning: "-I found the translation system very easy to use."
Check it out. Bravo Luis! Looks great!

5.       There you have it, it's that simple. Now what about you?  Is  there
a language and place that is close to your heart and where you think people
might wish to see and savor these short videos with sub-titles in your
language?

6.       If you are tempted and would like to give it a try  please get in
touch. It would be good if you would copy to Elizabeth, our big boss, at
<mailto:elizabeth at streetfilms.org> elizabeth at streetfilms.org, and to me so
that I can follow progress and pitch in as may be useful.

I personally think that this is a noble and important project. It shows what
happens if we work together. (BTW, the other side has no chance. We are
already winning this war. It's just that the message has not yet got through
to the other side yet. No problem, we will just keep at it )

Best/Eric Britton

   Eric Britton, Editor / Managing Director
    <http://sustainabiltyseminar.wordpress.com/> Sustainable Development,
Business & Society |  <http://www.worldstreets.org/> World Streets  |
<http://www.newmobility.org/> New Mobility Partnerships
   8, rue Jospeh Bara   75006 Paris France