[sustran] ‘No room left for the car’

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:30:41 JST 2011

Published on *Down To Earth* (http://www.downtoearth.org.in)

------------------------------
‘No room left for the car’
Author(s):
 Arushi Mittal
  Issue Date:
 2011-5-15

Australian environmental activist and professor of sustainability at Curtin
University in Perth, Peter Newman loves Indian streets. He shares his
experience of Indian cities with Arushi Mittal

[image: PETER NEWMAN]Courtesy: Iclei World Congress*What are your
observations about Indian cities?*

I come from a school of thought that likes cities, and I find an Indian
street fascinating. There are so many different users: bullock carts, food
vendors, beggars, cyclists and cars. I can see how cars are a necessary part
of city life but they must not dominate it. If you allow cars all the time,
the city becomes dysfunctional very quickly. *And my sense is that Indian
streets have reached optimum car use. There is no room left for the car.*

Every ordinary Indian can see that we need new solutions. But every traffic
engineer is still trying to put in the flyovers that speed up traffic on one
side even if everything grinds to a halt again on the other side.

*How has your experience been in Pune, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Delhi?*

My overall feeling is that Indian cities are ready for a change. People
recognise the fact that there are too many cars. But it is still a problem
getting people out of cars. I am committed to finding solutions and that is
why I am coming back next year to try out a few ideas to extend public
transport in cities like Pune.

*Are Indian authorities prepared for the change?*

Authorities are informed about sustainable urban transport, electric
vehicles, using natural gas as fuel and the need for public transport in
Indian cities. So, there is a sense that we have to try modes other than the
car and also ensure they are used by everyone.

*What should we focus on: metro rail system, other non-motorised transport
(NMT) or buses?*

You can’t make a metro work properly unless you have got very good
pedestrian facilities around the stations. Getting attention for NMT is the
main game.
      * There is no city where you can take a bit of space from the cars.
The road and the car lobby are very strong and they are constantly trying to
win, but they are winning less and less *

But the car cannot be replaced by NMT. I think you have to tackle the car by
introducing good metro services which will will then increase space for NMT.

Getting space for pedestrians is a major priority for Indian roads. I took
photographs of roads where there are no footpaths and the pedestrians are
fighting their way against traffic. It is akin to a dangerous sport.

*Does Delhi Metro deserve the applause it is receiving while not running at
full capacity?*

The great thing about the metro is that you can continuously expand it. You
can have a train arriving every 30 seconds which will take a 1,000 people,
equivalent to eight-10 lanes of traffic. Many Japanese cities have done
this.

*How can we avoid vested interests in transit oriented development (TOD)?*

That is an issue in all our cities. The need is to get affordable housing
near railway stations. This needs regulatory action. For example, Vancouver
has two regulations for TOD: 15 per cent of development has to be social
housing which is bought by cooperative societies or by the government and
five per cent of the property value goes for building social infrastructure.
Then there are those who do not want to use buses. They prefer walking or
cycling. Vancouver is one of the few cities which wants more density and yet
has seen a 30 per cent reduction in vehicle use.

*How can we convince the public to accept change?*

It is a tricky political issue and has to be fought hard in every city.
There is no city where you can just take a bit of space from the cars. Such
actions will always be contested. The road and the car lobby are very strong
and they are constantly trying to win, but they are winning less and less.
The view of life from behind the wheel, from behind a wind-screen is a very
selfish one and it is a myth that you can have this free flowing, beautiful
traffic situation.

*How do you see the future?*

I can see that in the next decade we will have substantially renewable
cities. They will be dramatically able to show reductions in carbon by
reducing car numbers and promoting electric vehicles. That is my dream and I
think it is a very feasible one. It is no longer just a dream, it is
actually graspable; I can see it happening.