[sustran] Re: "Vision", "technical assessment" or ???

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 6 15:30:56 JST 2011

Both the views you state are valid, and you consider them nicely. In both
cases the community is brought in and if, as you say, values are truly
considered -- something that in fact happens rarely -- both have their
roles.

My point about technical suboptimality is that community consensus can be
argued as the truly "optimal" approach, especially when the alternative is
to continue to face political opposition and to do nothing. I say this not
only because community values are represented by accepting their
consensus, but because such an approach can be the most practical one to
moving forward.

The particular case, by the way, was about allowing a BRT project to go
ahead with local bus operators allowed to use the facility -- something
likely to cause operational chaos! I advocated going along with this,
however, as the only way to allow BRT to proceed, since up to that point
BRT had been opposed by both the bus industry and its powerful labour
unions!

There is nothing wrong with finding out about values, coming up with
options and doing your own assessment -- however, that assessment should
then be the subject of community debate and critical reflection by all
parties. Perhaps that way, the two approaches you differentiate can in
fact be brought together! --Jonathan

e-mail: richmond at alum.mit.edu
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/