[sustran] Re: Will the real PRT please stand up

P. Christopher Zegras czegras at MIT.EDU
Thu May 5 22:44:14 JST 2011

Dear all,

I will try not turn this forum topic into a debate among "Western academics"....

Dr. Richmond incorrectly implies that I believe technology, including the "technology" of program and project assessment, will "solve it."  However, the technology of project/program assessment might help ground the discussion and steer us towards better interventions because at least it:
1. forces us to attempt to think systematically through the problem and potential solutions
2. makes clear what we think we know and don't know
3. makes more transparent our assumptions and allows (in theory) others to examine the implications of those assumptions.

That is, it can at least, help to create the space for a more "honest and open" debate.

Before Dr. Richmond accuses me of being so naïve as to believe that this is how the world actually works, I will paraphrase an old Limeño friend and colleague who once offered me his "genetics of a transportation project" (he was referring to the Peruvian case, and a particularly foolish flyover, but I believe the elements of the  "model" are fairly universal).  Projects originate via (his model "calibration" to the Peruvian case):
1. personal relationships
2. financial sources
3. public opinion
4. technical analysis.

That is, the project is born by some personal relationship, is raised by linking it with some source of financing, then is peddled to the public in the form of the "vision", and finally is justified by the pre-determined technical analysis.  I'm pretty sure all of us, from whatever part of the world we live in, have experienced this firsthand.

In any case, the recent PRT resurgence on this forum and, apparently, now in Indian cities raises a basic question: what to do about it?  Perhaps we can ignore it. I agree with Dr. Richmond that the developing world (and much of the rest of the world, in fact), probably has better things to be spending public $ and time on.  But, then what happens when some entrepreneur gets the right personal relationships, finds the public money, convinces the public of the "marvel" and then the technical analysis is fait accompli?

Contrary to Dr. Richmond's claim, the problem is not that a "vision" is dangerous; everyone knows the power (good and bad) of the "modern" vision of transport "solutions" dating, well, probably back to the very beginning of human history.  Visions, good and bad, are inevitable - we have imaginations after all....The problem as I see it is the vision, unchallenged or unchallengeable, being peddled without an attempt at grounded assessment.  For example, if Mr. Oster can show how his cable car POD could ACTUALLY physically, financially, economically, culturally, environmentally, etc. fit into the fabric of a real city - and make his assessment open to public scrutiny - we will all be better off.

Maybe we just let the latest PRT rumblings go on their way. A few press stories does not a "revolution" make. Perhaps some Indian city will be the pioneer of a "modern transportation marvel" or the latest victim in a storied history of unfulfilled promise.  Maybe we can hope that, as Eric Bruun kindly suggested, the Mayor's transport staff will have a look at Vuchic's book and draw their own proper conclusions, before the city has spent itself too far down the black hole.

Don’t get me wrong, despite Dr. Richmond's suggestion, I am not recommending that some city hire a group of overpaid western consultants and academics to tell them that PRT is good or bad.  I believe that any place-specific proposal should be assessed by people who actually know and live in the place - although we would be foolish to ignore the inevitable asymmetries of power, money, "technical sophistication" etc. when certain proposals come from large monied interests (not that this is actually the PRT case, rather the case of most other transportation technologies and financiers).  I do believe the burden of proof falls on the proponent - but too often the proponent gets into the door, peddles the vision to the politician who "buys" it and then what?  We wait until another boondoggle consumes time, money and effort that may have been avoided ex-ante?

So, in the face of this particular technology and its various proposals, all I was suggesting that someone spend a modest amount of time (and yes, probably $) to carry out a reasonable "non-partisan" (probably better term than "bi-partisan"), quick-and-dirty assessment of this technology in a specific place.  Who would fund it?  I don't know; some foundation or development institution or something else.  Would I rather the money were spent on education, or traffic safety, or health care, etc.?  Well, truth is, it depends. If a modest investment in a decent assessment of this technology avoided (or gained) thousands or millions of monies and hours down the line, then the returns might be worth it.

Maybe the whole endeavor would be giving too much credit to this particular industry and we could simply ask Mr. Oster: please show us how your proposal would actually work to socially, economically and financially satisfy any share of mobility demand in any city of your choice and please let us actually see the analysis (assumptions, etc.) so we can judge for ourselves.

And, full disclosure, in case Dr. Richmond thinks I'm trying to line myself up for some high-paying, white towered, gig: I do not have the interest nor time to carry out such an assessment. But, I would be very interested in seeing the results.

Kind wishes, Chris