[sustran] Re: PRT proposal for Delhi convinces Chief Minister

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Sun May 1 15:20:41 JST 2011

Hi Carlos,

One Lakh is: 100,000 (hundred thousand)
One Crore is: 10,000,000 (or 10 million)

Cornie is absolutely right.
--
Sujit

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Pardo <carlosfpardo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the ignorance, but I can't remember if 1 lakh is 10,000 Rs ... is
> it? And since we're at it, how much is 1 crore? It would be great if we
> could always give the small explanation for those who aren't familiar. This
> conversation is very useful for people outside India!
>
> Pardo
>
> Sent from Liliput-sized keyboard. Please excuse typos.
>
> On 30/04/2011, at 10:40, Lee Schipper <schipper at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> > Woah.  A bus seat is occupied by many more people per day and provides
> far more passenger-km than a car seat. And buses do provide standing room
> and take up less road space per passenger.
> > The Indian bus manufacturers figured out that a woman with two children
> and packages might have a hard time climbing up 1 metre on to a lorry-bed
> with seats, as buses were until less than a decade ago.  I credit the
> Swedish government's proposal to GIVE B'lore some Volvo lo floor buses a
> little more than ten years ago as providing the spark for the Indian
> version.  Oh yes National government insisted there be hefty tax on the
> Swedish buses and suddenly this "gift" was unaffordable. Some of this is
> recounted in my IEA book "Bus Systems for the future" still free at
> > Www.IEA.org
> >

> > I photographed a TAta or Leyland lo-floor bus in Delhi in 2006, so surely
> one does not need to turn to Volvo. But let's not make a comparison just on
> cost per seat....
> >
> > And let's hope the bus lanes are car and two-wheeler free!
> >
> > Lee Schipper
> > Global Met Studies  UC Berkeley
> > Precourt En Eff Center Stanford
> >

> > On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:16, Dunu Roy <qadeeroy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> You are right. The cost of the Volvo low-floor buses is exorbitant and
> bears no relation to production costs. The Tata/Leyland buses in Delhi are
> for 49 lakhs (non-AC) and 59 lakhs (AC). Even here, the CAG slammed the
> Corporation for buying buses at above the rates of Rs 43 lakhs and 51 lakhs
> respectively set by the Technical Committee. The chassis, it seems, costs
> only 15 lakhs, so if the body is built locally the expenses can be brought
> down significantly.
> >>
> >> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM, ashok datar <datar.ashok at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> cost of bus and car per person
> >>
> >> Dear All,
> >> if we calculate the investment cost per seat in a car vs the same in a
> bus we get a disturbing picture
> >> If a Volvo bus costs a min of Rs. 70 lakhs for 40 seats
> >> it means the investment per seat is Rs. 1.75 lakhs
> >> on the other hand , popular cars such as Santro, Indica, Alto etc all
> cost   around Rs 3 to Rs. 4 lak rupees .
> >> that means the investment per seat would be Rs one lakh per seat
> >> why does it have to be so ?
> >> Earlier , the ordinary BEST used to cost only Rs. 11 lakhs to Rs. 18
> lakhs- obviously they  were very basic and the costs are up but in those
> [...]

*“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“*

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627