[sustran] Don't we want honest labeling on bicycle helmets?

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Wed Mar 23 16:46:27 JST 2011

*Don't we want honest labeling on bicycle helmets?*
Full post with image at:
http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/2011/03/dont-we-want-honest-labels-on-helmets.html

Bike helmets are getting more colourful these days. Perhaps they are
also better designed, but the fact remains that they are not designed
for typical crashes between a cyclist and a motor vehicle when the
latter is operating at typical speeds (above 30 km/h or 20 mph). They
are tested to simulate a cyclist falling without the involvement of a
motor vehicle, and very slowly, at less than 15 mph.

I would bet, however, than most bike helmet users do think they are
tested and make a big difference in a crash with a car. It is clear that
helmet producers are not interested in pro-actively communicating
information about this design limitation to their customers.

I am pro-choice on helmets, for helmet freedom, and if wearing a helmet
gets you on a bike that's great, but correct information is just as
important as subjective safety.

If you are interested in helping research what helmet users really
think, and pressuring the helmet producers to help create more honest
labeling and marketing, please comment here or write me at
edelman(at)greenidea.eu.

***

For more information on bicycle helmets see the website of the Bicycle
Helmet Research Foundation, http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

To join the Facebook (Fan) Page "No Mandatory Bike Helmets at Velo-city
Global 2012 in Vancouver" click on
https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-mandatory-bike-helmets-at-Velo-city-Global-2012-in-Vancouver/165806686776077?ref=ts

You are free to download this image, print and distribute. You may also
download a smaller PDF (should print okay in A4 or 8.5 x 11 with white
borders) at this link: http://db.tt/bnRf266

--

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory/Slow Factory