[sustran] Velo-city "in" Sevilla: Introducing the online poster and abstract exhibition!!!

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Mon Mar 21 15:32:30 JST 2011

Velo-city "in" Sevilla: Introducing the online poster and abstract
exhibition!!!

http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/2011/03/velo-city-in-sevilla-introducing-online.html

Do you miss the poster exhibition at Velo-city? Through 2007 Munich (or
2009 Brussels ?), Velo-city had a poster exhibition which served as a
way to promote solutions, concepts, views and results which - for
reasons of not being quite compelling enough and/or space limits, among
others - could not be in the main programme of presentations and
workshops. There were also comments to ECF staff that the poster
sessions - a time to interact with poster-makers - were too rushed or
chaotic, making it difficult for poster presenters to effectively
communicate the content in their posters.

In summer 2010 there was a decision to not have a poster exhibition in
Sevilla. While it is clear that the new and improved format of
plenaries, presentations, question workshops, and round tables formally
introduces a lot of new interactivity to sessions, it is also clear that
a lot of good, controversial and/or perhaps not quite fully-formed
proposals (abstracts) did not make it into the programme.

Another advantage to a poster exhibition - more specifically, one which
would include abstracts both accepted and not, and there were over 250
submitted for Sevilla but only about 100 accepted - would be that it
could serve as way to "be in two places at the same time", i.e. to not
have to be forced to choose between two sessions running simultaneously:
You could attend one in person and then later on visit the poster
exhibition of the other. Similarly, this would also able one to use a
poster as a preview for a session happening later in the day or the week.

I proposed the above to Velo-city organizers (at ECF and in Sevilla, and
also to ECF board members) but it was rejected, first as a Velo-city
event and then as an independent one (with some cooperation from
organizers to obtain contact info for people who sent in abstracts). (I
have also proposed this for future Velo-city's, but have not yet
received a response and to the newly-forming Cycling Embassy of the
Netherlands, just for Sevilla, but never heard back...)

Therefore I am happy to announce that I will co-ordinate a online poster
and abstract exhibition! For both rejected and accepted abstracts!

It is very simple: Starting now (and running indefinitely) I will accept
PDFs and JPEGs of both posters you would like to make or just the same
accepted or rejected abstract you sent to the Velo-city organizers
earlier this year. Read carefully: Starting this Tuesday 22 March, and
updated daily until the end of the month, I will post a
link for these on my blog. Include a very short summary, and I will
include it on my blog along with the link. These will be viewable as
downloads from a virtual hard drive, probably Dropbox. Alternatively,
you may just send a link (and a summary) to your website if you prefer
to post it or have it downloadable there.

The only abstracts or posters which will be rejected are those which are
blatantly offensive for any reason. I will post everything automatically
but people who offended me will be able to to appeal. All final
decisions are mine and I take no responsibility for anything I will
choose to post. The views expressed in the linked abstracts and poster
are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect my views.

Please send abstracts and posters as PDFs or JPEGs (ideally smaller file
sizes, please!) to edelman(at)greenidea.eu.

If you would like to make a financial contribution for this or have any
other suggestions, questions or offers of assistance, please let me know.

See you in virtual Sevilla! (I will not be there.)

(Velo-city is a project of ECF and has nothing to do with this
exhibition... at least not yet.)

--

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory/Slow Factory,