[sustran] Re: [WorldCityBike] FW: [Cities-for-Mobility] Solidarity Address with cyclists attacked at bike event in Brazil

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:11:41 JST 2011

There appears to be a lot of activity on this front as seen from emails that
are coming in, including Carlos Pardo's that has a message in Spanish which
I was able to understand thanks to Google Translate. This spontaneous
decentralised response is good but for putting political pressure if someone
in Porto Alegre could suggest a website/blog on which thousands of messages
can be sent.

I'm sure everyone, no matter in what part of the world they live, feel
personally touched by this horrible and shocking tragedy/crime(?) and would
like to do something to ensure this kind of insanity does not ever happen
again.

I feel this could bring enough pressure - so authorities will act and not
let the driver get away with a mild reprimand. We know how clever lawyers
can be.

Perhaps I-CE or Carlos or a CSO in Porto Alegre can help set this up?

Regards,
--
Sujit

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Cornie Huizenga <
cornie.huizenga at slocatpartnership.org> wrote:

> Dear Sujit,
>
> This is truley horrific.  I have also been thinking on what would be a good
> manner to respond, in addition to ensuring that the guy who did is actually
> apprehended.
>
> My thinking is that the people who were killed and injured were out on the
> street because they were passionate about cycling and that they were trying
> to make their voice heard.  Based on that I think that it is important to
> give a face to the voices that were lost. What we could do is ask our
> friends in Brazil to come up with short dignified presentation summarizing
> who the victims were and what they stood for. Many of us have websites and
> many us of organize conferences. We could run this presentations on our
> websites and in our meetings to continue the campaign that they literally
> died for.
>
> Cornie
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Sujit Patwardhan <
> patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Eric,
>>
>> This is one of the most horrific videos I have seen and it makes my blood
>> boil.
>>
>> Can we do more than just express our solidarity to the innocent victims of
>> this deliberate murderous attack by the motorist?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Sujit
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM, eric britton <eric.britton at ecoplan.org
>> >wrote:
>>

>> > *Solidarity Address with cyclists attacked at bike event in Brazil*
>> >
>> > Cities for Mobility expresses its solidarity with the victims of a car
>> > attack to cyclists which occurred during the critical mass bike
>> > manifestation in the city of Porto Alegre, Brazil on 25 February 2011.
>> Our
>> > thoughts are with the injured and their families. We wish them a fast
>> > recovery.
>> >
>> > Link to the Video:
>> >

>> http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/51205/Driver-kill-cyclists-in-Critical-Mass-Porto-Alegre-Brazil/
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > The CFM Coordination Office

>> > City of Stuttgart, Germany
>> > Coordination Office Cities for Mobility
>> > Mayor's Policy Office
>> > Mobility Department
>> > Rathaus, Marktplatz 1, 70173 Stuttgart
>> >
>> > Tel: +49 (0)711 216 - 85 01
>> > Fax: +49 (0)711 216 - 61 05
>> > E-Mail: cfm at stuttgart.de
>> > Website: http://www.cities-for-mobility.org
>> >

>> >  __._,_.___
>> >   Reply to sender<
>> eric.britton at ecoplan.org?subject=Re%3A%20FW%3A%20%5BCities-for-Mobility%5D%20Solidarity%20Address%20with%20cyclists%20attacked%20at%20bike%20event%20in%20Brazil>|
>> > to group<
>> WorldCityBike at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20FW%3A%20%5BCities-for-Mobility%5D%20Solidarity%20Address%20with%20cyclists%20attacked%20at%20bike%20event%20in%20Brazil>|
> [...]

*“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“*

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627