[sustran] Example of why BRT can be delayed by interest groups

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Thu Jun 23 17:03:58 JST 2011

Dear all,

I agree on the need to provide realistic guidance, and to be upfront about
real-world challenges.

That said, I think we should make a very clear distinction between:

- cases of normal process, including full stakeholder consultation and
even redesign where required
- cases where institutional, organisational, operator issues need to also
be resolved and add to the timeline (e.g. operator restructuring/formation
in Joburg/Cape Town)
- cases where interest groups significantly drag out the process

It would also be worth examining if there is any material difference in
timeline between the first and subsequent BRT projects in a country - i.e.
does the first BRT in a country have to invest time in a 'pipe-cleaning'
of attitudes, frameworks and processes, which then benefits all subsequent
projects?

It is not clear from the article about LA sent by Eric Bruun how long the
process took, and how much delay has been suffered by wrangling and
stalling tactics. Nonetheless, two things are clear to me:

1) However long the wrangling takes, once the green light is given the
bus-based option will be in operation quicker than the rail alternative;
and
2) If the Council will not approve the needed priority on a particular
section, there will not be any rail-based system there at all, whereas the
bus can still run in mixed traffic on that section

With best wishes,

Brendan.
Brendan Finn          e-mail : etts at indigo.ie          tel :
+353.87.2530286