[sustran] FW: Women2Drive: A Day to be Remembered in The Kingdom.

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Jun 17 20:27:38 JST 2011

>From World Streets - http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/women2drive-a-day-to-be-remembered-in-the-kingdom/

Women2Drive: A Day to be Remembered in The Kingdom.

It is a rare day that World Streets comes out in favor of cars in cities. But even that of course is not quite true. At best there will be plenty of cars in our cities, but they will not be parked and they will be chauffeuring not just their drivers but offering affordable services to flexible groups of people safely and efficiently. Great way to get around when you get it right.

And getting it right is the theme of the day today in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, where, as you all surely are aware, a few – we will possibly never know the exact number – Saudi women have decided that they have a rightful place in society, in the public space, and that this also includes being behind the wheel when they need to get somewhere. And today is their great day: Women2Drive is social media-driven campaign and sisterhood project in which a certain number of intrepid women are getting behind the wheel and defying the Kingdom's long ban on female drivers. Here is a fine article from the New York Times  introducing the topic, and for more we and our readers will be adding more in the days to come.

The poet is always right.  La femme est l'avenir de l'homme. Or, to translate . . .

For full article: http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/women2drive-a-day-to-be-remembered-in-the-kingdom