[sustran] Seminar program on (1) Sustainable Development, (2) Business & (3) Society

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Jun 15 01:30:46 JST 2011

EcoPlan International

           Association loi de 1901

            Paris. 14 juin 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Just completed our first graduate seminar/brainstorming session on (1)
Sustainable Development, (2) Business & (3) Society. The seminar was
organized for graduate MBA students of the Institut Supérieur de Gestion in
Paris. You can read about the seminar, its organization and the toolkit
behind it at http://sustain.ecoplan.org

I have decided to organize not just that one but a cycle of these seminars,
since it only recently came to the attention of my befuddled brain that most
of the people working in any of the various bits and ends of the
"sustainable transportation" nexus, do not in fact have a sufficiently
developed understanding of this critical three-part nexus. (Most tend to be
transportation experts, or environment or energy or technology or city or
politics or modeling experts, and while their eventual high expertise in
their chosen area of competence is of course critical, it is not less
important that their work be structured with a good understanding of the
broader context which is, after all, the essential "problematique". (And I
remind myself of this good English-language definition of that French word:
"the art of formulating a problem".)

With the hope of what I call our Dashboard and the overall program structure
that you will see on the site, I believe  we are moving toward a pretty good
working framework for future seminars and working groups . And it is my hope
to organize and run up to ten of these sessions, in ten different countries,
and then perhaps in time put the whole thing between the pages of one more
big fat book.  But in the meantime, while my initial target is graduate
university programs, though I am also hopeful to organize these sessions in
companies, NGOs and public sector agencies.

As we have seen in all our outreach work, what is needed to ensure success
of such a program is to have one innovative colleague inside the ranks of
the eventual host institution who can help sell and eventually shape and
contribute to the events. Might that be you?

For more on the seminar program and cycle, you can contact me at this
address, by Skype at newmobility, and by phone at +331 7550 3788.

Thanks for your attention.

Eric Britton

Un projet de l'Association Ecoplan International (Loi de 1901)

8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  •  Paris 75006 France

+331 7550 3788  •   <mailto:association at ecoplan.org> association at ecoplan.org
•  Skype newmobility

Siret 304555295 00019

Ministerial Decree - Ecoplan International - Aug. 27, 1975.

Arrêté du ministre de l’intérieur. 19 août 1975.

(Autorisation enregistrée à la préfecture de police le 27 août 1975.)

Objet : Etudes et recherches en matière de prospective ;

Mise au point de projets et de plans économiques et sociaux,

de méthodes d’analyses et de prévision ; Organisation de toutes études sur
ces sujets.

Siège social : 4, rue de Chevreuse, 75006 Paris.