[sustran] Re: Bicycles and literacy in India

Karthik Rao-Cavale krc12353 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 04:24:49 JST 2011

In the Tamil Nadu case, one possibility is that the bicycles were sold
because they were not needed. The girls might have already had cycles for
their use (not uncommon in Tamil Nadu to see girls cycling). Or they might
have lived close to school and might not have needed bicycles. I don't think
we should read into that any lack of "want" for a cycle.

The interesting point is that Bihar took a very bold step in distributing
cash rather than bicycles. The government claims that more than 90% of the
recipients did buy bicycles for their daughters. (Even though they recieved
cash and they could have easily spent it on anything they liked)

I think what is important here is that we should be trying to find the best
solution to achieve the desired goals. Designing a scheme intelligently
requires that we pay a lot of attention to the following:

a) what is being provided?
b) in what quantity?
c) to whom?
d) and how is the benefit delivered to the recipient?

Providing cycles is just one of many options. If one wanted to encourage
school attendance (especially among girls) then one could do one or more of
the following:

1) provide breakfast and lunch for children (this was a runaway success in
Tamil Nadu, and it is being implemented nation-wide now)
2) improve the toilet facilities (poor toilet facilities discourage girls
from going to school)
3) improve teaching (more teachers, better training, improving teacher
attendance, teaching aids etc.)...
and so on.

Providing cycles would be useful only if it is determined that there is an
accessibility problem. But the same problem could also be tackled by
building more schools closer to current habitations. This would be a better
solution because the distance to school is perceived not only as an
accessibility problem but also as an issue of safety. For instance, one
evaluation in Afghanistan showed that attendance was much higher in
"community schools" because they were percieved to be safer than formal
schools on the outskirts of the villages. On the other hand, building more
schools is heavy on capital investment and difficult to scale up quickly.

Providing bicycles also has its benefits. It increases the mobility of
girls, which is intrinsically valuable in conservative societies where girls
are discouraged to go outside often. The cycles can be used for purposes
other than going to school - for exercise, to go to markets and playgrounds
etc. But bicycles also need infrastructure in the form of paved roads -
where roads are unpaved, bicycle tyres can quickly get punctured, and the
maintenance cost might be prohibitive.

It is also important to properly identify target groups and delivery
mechanisms. For instance, should girls be the only beneficiaries, because
their literacy levels are the lowest? Should rural schools be targeted
because they face the biggest accessibility barriers? Should low-income
children be targeted because they do not have the ability to buy cycles of
their own? How easy is it to identify low-income households in the first
place? (If you have been following the debates surrounding the food security
bill in India, you would know that identifying the poor is virtually
impossible) As for delivery mechanisms, we might choose between cash
transfer, direct provision, or we could go for supply-side subsidies (where
the subsidies are given to bicycle manufacturers rather than the buyers of
the bicycles).

The entire process is not very different from ordering a sandwich at a
Subway outlet.