[sustran] Re: Cycle track discarded and footpath narrowed along Ahmedabad BRTS corridors

ravibabu manchala ravibabumanchala at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:13:53 JST 2011

Dear all,

I am generally a mute recipient of wonderful exchange of ideas that
take place on this forum. Coming to bad practices I am tempted to post
this on misplaced policy priorities.

Government of India has initiated a plan to revive the urban areas
under central funding scheme and the and the areas eligible for
assistance are:

(1)Urban renewal, that is, redevelopment of inner (old) city areas
[including widening of narrow
streets, shifting of industrial and commercial establishments from
non-conforming (inner
city) areas to conforming (outer city) areas to reduce congestion,
replacement of old and
worn out pipes by new and higher capacity ones, renewal of the
sewerage, drainage, and solid
waste disposal system etc.] ;
(2) Water supply (including desalination plants) and sanitation.
(3) Sewerage and solid waste management.
(4) Construction and improvement of drains and storm water drains.
(5) Urban transportation including roads, highways, expressways, MRTS,
and metro projects.
(6) Parking lots and spaces on PPP basis.
(7) Development of heritage areas
(8) Prevention and rehabilitation of soil erosion and landslides only
in cases of special category
States where such problems are common; and
(9) Preservation of water bodies.

Item 5 is about urban transport and it has no mention of cycle tracks
or pedestrian pathways.

Details of approved cost of the projects sanctioned is as follows:
1) Total projects: 527
2) Total approved cost (in Rs) = 59918.3 Crores or 599 billion
(includes transport and others)
3) Projects where words pedestrian, cycling or foot over bridge are mentioned: 4
4) Approved cost on the 4 projects (in Rs): 147.4 crores or 1.5 billion
5) % share: 0.24

Note: This is based on quick scan of all the 527 projects and also
search of prominent words. I may not be accurate but it gives the
picture. I can share the pdf document if anybody is interested.

This gives an example of a national level misplaced policy.

regards
Ravibabu