[sustran] Cycle, Cycling Culture and Bollywood

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Jul 24 17:10:30 JST 2011

World Streets
              Make them yours

Dear Navdeep,

What a great idea! I would with your permission like to make it into a
weekend "musing" for World Streets.  If you agree, it would be good to know
a couple of things.

1. Might you introduce yourself in a few lines. Perhaps with a pic?

2. Which of the clips you identify are your three favorites. Maybe taking
them from different decades (but that's only an idea and of course your
choice)?

3. May I edit bits of the text slightly for our American readers?

4. Finally, would you clarify for me:  First sentence 2nd paragraph: where
you are saying: 12 out of 100 people in Punjab won bikes, but only 2 in 100
actually are using them today?

5. Also: Can you clarify why " Facilitation and early licensing to one car
user going to put life of 12 cycle user and many pedestrian at risk".

I hope this is agreeable to you, and I know that your contribution will
interest many of our readers on World Streets, and I will also of course
post on India Streets.

A final point, which I think is quit delicate and I would hope to deal with
appropriately – and for which I ask for your counsel.  I do not want our
readers to come away from this weekend trip over time and space thinking
anything like "Oh how cute those Indians are? How quaint".  Given the
special qualities of Bollywood this is just a too easy shot.  Anyway, we all
have our Bollywood.

The idea behind World Streets has from the beginning been to seek out and
share universal lessons, from specific times and places but which, with
thought, open up our eyes to many things, including ourselves and our own
limitations and quirks.  So I do want to make sure that my short
introductory note will reflect this combination of curiously, insight and
generosity.

So even if you don't want us to post this on W/S, let me nonetheless thank
you so very much. I spent a very thought provoking half hour with Bollywood.

Very best/Eric

   Eric Britton, Editor / Managing Director
    <http://www.worldstreets.org/> World Streets /
<http://www.newmobility.org/> New Mobility Partnerships  /
<http://seminars.ecoplan.org/> Sustainability Seminar Series
   8, rue Jospeh Bara   75006 Paris France