[sustran] Now . . . A not so short list of very bad practices

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jul 18 15:43:59 JST 2011

Those who fail to learn history (no matter how painful) are doomed to repeat
it *

Thank you.  The response to this request , through these lists and in
private, to this quick weekend call for examples has been instructive,
gratifying and has lead me to the following proposal for a small
collaborative project, possibly  for selective publication of a certain
number of examples on World Streets as well as via these lists.

1.       First, we have to agree - at least some of us - that though
inventories of and information on "good" and "best" practices can be very
important and useful, there also is excellent reason for better and broader
understanding not just so-so or debatably bad, but truly egregiously,
exemplary  bad practices in our troubled sector.

2.       Moreover, it is my long experience that if we look hard enough at
specific  selected cases we will not only have lively stories that deserve
to be better known (and not covered up or purposefully forgotten as so often
is the case), but moreover that in very many of these cases there are
lessons for policy makers and others involved that have universal
implications.  That to my mind is the real reason that bad practices deserve
to be better known and more widely discussed

3.       It is important that each of these incidents be understood and
presented in a balanced manner - there is no benefit if it is taken as a
combination witch hunt and turkey shoot.  Any such treatments should be
authoritative (though it also is to be understood that many will be
vigorously argued and contested - that indeed  is part of the process.)

4.       With this in view, I would now like to invite any and all here to
consider sending on a first summary note of what they personally know about
in their own city or country of one such exemplary bad practice/project. (My
own linitial listing below  is, as a number of you have pointed out,
presented in too cursory a manner and as such wide open to debate and
misinterpretation. )

5.       Then, we could discuss how this example might be expanded into a
short W/S article, say 300 words or so (but your call really). With
references for those who will wish to dig deeper.

6.       The idea is not to tie up a lot of your time. The project should be
one you now well and on which you have information at hand. Ideally there
will be some coverage from local news sources, etc.

In this way, our work will be available to all.

I look forward to your ideas on this.

Eric Britton

PS. As you surely know the opening quote here is not quite right.
Santayana's actual words in his book Reason in Common Sense were: "Those who
cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it". But the frequent
misquote (without my parenthetic words) is surely close enough. Pace.