[sustran] Frankly I believe that steering a motor car is actually better exercise than walking

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Jan 18 20:46:40 JST 2011

This just in from Ezra Goldman - http://onourowntwowheels.com/authors/ Thanks Ezra. I guess I have to take up regular driving to work on my oblique's. I felt I was missing something important these days.

 <http://onourowntwowheels.com/author/ezragoldman/>

1924 report:  <http://onourowntwowheels.com/2011/01/18/1924-report-cars-are-healthy-and-make-you-travel-less/> "Cars are healthy and make you travel less"

ezra goldman <http://onourowntwowheels.com/author/ezragoldman/>  | January 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Tags: bikeability.dk <http://onourowntwowheels.com/?tag=bikeability-dk>  | Categories: USA <http://onourowntwowheels.com/?category_name=usa>  | URL: http://wp.me/pZC21-eg

My advisor, Thomas Sick Nielsen, dug this lovely piece out of the annals from the early 1920s. Apparently, back in the day, some people argued that car driving was in fact 'healthy'- more so than walking even.

U. S. Senator Royal S. Copeland, former Health Commissioner of New York City cited in Motor,  July, 1922:

Of course motoring bestows its greatest benefits on the person who drives the car. Not only does the driver get the full benefitof open road and fresh air, but he gets actual physical exercise in a form best calculated to repair the damages wrought by our modern existence. The slight physical effort needed in moving the steering wheel reacts on the muscles of the armsand abdomen. Most of us get enough exercise in the walking necessary, even to the most confined life, to keep the leg muscles fairly fit. It is from the waist upward that flabbiness usually sets in. The slight, but purposeful effort demanded in swinging the steering wheel, reacts exactly where we need it most. Frankly I believe that steering a motor car is actually better exercise than walking, becauseit does react on the parts of the body least used in the ordinary man's routine existence.

They could never imagine just how sedentary one could be. This sounds like an argument that mousing and typing is sufficient daily exercise as is getting up from the sofa to get a beer from the refrigerator.

Here is also a physician describing the difference between working with a car as compared with the horse and buggy days. It is quite interesting to note that the modern communication and transportation technologies of the car and telephone made people travel less, not more. What I have found has always seemed to suggest the opposite but it would be interesting to do more detailed studies.

There were two doctors when I came here [rural Connecticut- my home area!]. At times there have been three. But now that I have an automobile I can readily cover the region. But the strange part of it is that I have fewer calls to make on the same people. The fact is that the automobile and the telephone have set people's minds at rest. They don't send for me in the middle ofthe night the way they used to. If it is only a slight matter they wait until morning. If a little more serious, they telephone. Only in emergencies do they ask me to come to the house at night.  In the past they wanted me to come anyway, in case there might be critical developments; but now they know I can get there in no time if needed, and they do not worry.

>From John C. Long Source: Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, Vol. 116, The Automobile: Its Province and Its Problems (Nov., 1924), pp. 18-21

Add a comment to this post <http://onourowntwowheels.com/2011/01/18/1924-report-cars-are-healthy-and-make-you-travel-less/#respond>

  <http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com&blog=14684205&post=884&subd=onourowntwowheels&ref=&email=1>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gocomments/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/godelicious/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gofacebook/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gotwitter/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/gostumble/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/godigg/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>  <http://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/goreddit/onourowntwowheels.wordpress.com/884/>

 WordPress <http://s.wordpress.org/about/images/logo-grey/grey-m.png>

WordPress.com | Thanks for flying with WordPress!
Manage Subscriptions <http://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=994a8ef8aa24d193183f31435a430c2e&email=editor%40worldstreets.org>  | Unsubscribe <http://subscribe.wordpress.com/?key=994a8ef8aa24d193183f31435a430c2e&email=editor%40worldstreets.org&b=CXxp%2CWjQ6MfoRVk%3FPo%7E%7C%5D%5DKOVCxnSP2jO3R4joDy%2F>  | Publish text, photos, music, and videos by email using our Post by Email <http://support.wordpress.com/post-by-email/>  feature.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://subscribe.wordpress.com