[sustran] Re: Delhi Metro - A Transport Planner's Perspective

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Tue Jan 11 03:17:57 JST 2011

These are important concerns --- health, education, sanitation are very
important concerns.
However, there are other ways of viewing the problem
First, why is there so much private money for individual vehicles and
cheap fuel in India but not enough to build protected sidewalks, bus
stops, bus lanes, and even metros? Clearly individual motorization on
two, three or four wheels is underpriced. Rather than providing
additional under-priced collective transport to compete against
motorization, why not make motorization pay its real costs and orient
overall transport policies to a more balanced system than the present
course is yielding.

Second, transport in India is closely associated with both
respiration-related illnesses from transports air pollution
(particularly particulate matter) and a very high rate of deaths per
kilometer driven or traveled, deaths dominated not by vehicle occupants
but by pedestrians, cyclists, and even those moving with animal power.
(kindly see our report, PSUTA, which included Pune, here..
http://www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia/1412/article-60108.html

Finally, transport has plenty of money in India, but it is almost
entirely for roads, rail, ports and air. Your leaders have "decided" on
the balance, but some of us might comment that it appears to be an
imbalance when the overwhelming majority of Indians are on foot, pedals,
buses, that so much goes for roads and so little for these modes. How to
change this I can't say, but something has to give.

Lee Schipper, Ph.D.
Project Scientist, Global Metropolitan Studies, UC Berkeley
Senior Research Engineer, Precourt Energy Efficiency Center, Stanford
Univ.