[sustran] World Streets Weekly digest for 10 January 2011

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Jan 10 18:19:57 JST 2011

World Streets weekly digest for 10 Jan. 2011

"CAR-SHARING WILL EASE SHANGHAI'S TRAFFIC PROBLEMS"

We very much like this article that has just appeared in
motoring.asiaone.com, in that it provides an example of how good new
mobility ideas that have enjoyed a certain success in one place -- in this
instance the long time carsharing project of the City of Bremen -- can start
to make their way into other cities and parts of the world. Will this
actually work out for Shanghai? Well at least it's a start. We shall see and
keep you informed. In the meantime you may wish to have a look at an earlier
W/S background piece on "Will Carsharing Work in China?". A few more
references will be found at the end of this article.

Read more of this post:
http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/car-sharing-will-ease-shanghais
-traffic-problems/

GUARANTEED SCOTTISH TECHNIQUE FOR TAMING TRAFFIC

As the whole world knows, the Scots are an ingenious lot.  And  in a highly
creative response to my yesterday's "Unfair, unsafe and unwise . . . " call
for collaborative ideas for car control, one anonymous Scottish expert has
just sent in the following technical  illustration showing how they are able
to slow down traffic and otherwise create a better smelling and more natural
environment in Scotland.  He recommends it as an efficient, affordable, warm
and often delicious sustainability strategy. It has worked for a long time
in Scotland and will, they guarantee,  work well on your roads and streets
too in the future. Auld Lang Syne.

Read more of this post
http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/guaranteed-scottish-technique-f
or-taming-traffic/

UNFAIR, UNSAFE AND UNWISE - A MAJOR CRISIS ABUILDING FOR SUSTAINABLE
TRANSPORT IN BRITAIN

Dear British Friends and Colleagues,
Forgive me if I am being naïve, but based on what I am reading and hearing
it strikes me that there is a major crisis abuilding for sustainable
transport in Britain in the months immediately ahead -- as a result of the
coalition government withdrawing funding from a lot of mainly small and
local (since they really have to be small and usually local and focused if
they are to succeed) sustainable transport initiatives This strikes me as a
caring if distant observer as unfair, unsafe and unwise.

Read more of this post:
http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/unfair-unsafe-and-unwise-a-majo
r-crisis-abuilding-for-sustainable-transport-in-britain/

WORLD TRANSPORT POLICY & PRACTICE – VOL. 16, NO. 3

The Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice is the long-standing
idea and print partner of World Streets and the New Mobility Agenda since
1995. The Winter 2011 edition appears today, and in the article that follows
you will find the lead editorial by founding editor John Whitelegg. (For a
more complete introduction to World Transport click here.)

Read more of this post
http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/world-transport-policy-practice
-%e2%80%93-vol-16-no-3/