[sustran] Re: Hyderabad and the interest by authorities

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 21:27:30 JST 2011

Dear Kanthi,

I'm sure you have heard of the excellent "Pedestrian Guidelines" and "Street
Design Checklist" prepared by UTTIPEC - United Traffic & Transportation
(Planning & Engineering) Centre, which is part of the Delhi Development
Authority. If not do check out from their site:-

http://www.uttipec.nic.in/

from where these reports can be downloaded.

It may be a good idea to push the Hyderbad Municipal Corporation to adopt
suitable Street Design Specifications on the lines of the UTTIPEC
publications, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Once the
specifications are agreed on (after due consultation with citizens and NGOs
and prepared in a transparent manner), the problem with "lowest tender" may
not be such a hurdle.

To my mind the main problem is the absence of properly designed standards.
In that respect the documents prepared by UTTIPEC are excellent.

With good wishes,

--
Sujit

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Kanthi Kannan <kanthikannan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all
>

> Greetings!!
>

> The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation ( GHMC) is split into zones.
> Recently an IAS officer has been appointed the Zonal Commissioner of the
> Central Zone. He seems to be interested in doing the walkways for a part of
> the city.
>

> The issue is that
>

> The tender by the government will only result in the lowest tender getting
> the order and doing a shoddy job. So what we are trying and I think also
> almost convinced him is that the tender should have both technical and a
> financial part to it.
>

> The GHMC had undertaken a complete footpath survey of a 3.6 Km stretch and
> have submitted the report. The report is interesting because the GHMC has
> actually identified many parts of the stretch as being poor in terms of
> walking conditions.
>

> After seeing this report we have been actively pursuing the Zonal Comm and
> have also given him a presentation of basic street design too. Now I think
> that we need help from experts who have the necessary power with the
> government to push the issue through.
>

> Can any one help us in this regard?
>

> In Hyderabad we feel that the time has come for action because there are a
> number of people both in the print and in the TV who are talking about this
> issue and demanding positive change.
>

> Thanks
>

> Regards
>

> Kanthi

> sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> (the 'Global South').

*“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“*

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627