[sustran] Re: [World Streets] What do Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and World Streets have in common?

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 17:00:15 JST 2011

Dear Ashok,
We should actually send a letter to the Finance Minister and ask if Mr
Finance Minister is  going to listen to such "shameless" appeals made on
behalf of a tiny minority or going to do more for the majority who are
crying for mobility, accessibility and bearable quality of Public Transport,
and NMT facilities in our cities that have for too long been dominated by
the automobile?

--
Sujit

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM, ashok datar <datar.ashok at gmail.com> wrote:

> a provocative large hoarding ostensibly put up in Mumbai exhorting the
> finance minister ahead of the presentation of budget on 28th march says
>
> MR Finance Minister
> why cant we have more roads and
> less road taxes ?
>
> who is asking this and which interest group it represents
> ashok datar
>
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 11:07 PM, eric britton <eric.britton at ecoplan.org
> >wrote:
>
> > WHAT DO TUNISIA, EGYPT, LIBYA AND WORLD STREETS HAVE IN COMMON?
> > Eric Britton, editor | 26 February 2011 at 17:04 | Categories: editorial,
> > media, paradigm change, social media | URL: http://wp.me/p1fsqb-i3
> >
> > We try very hard to stay on topic in World Streets, not always easy since
> > our bailiwick is so vast. But there are times when, if we are to do our
> > self-assigned job, we need to look even broader yet.
> >
> > One of the fundamental tenets of World Streets is that the decisions that
> > in
> > the past have shaped the streets and mobility arrangements of our cities
> > now
> > have to be sharply revised and brought into the realities of this very
> > different 21st century. In the past the shaping decisions and investments
> > in
> > the sector were made in more or less closed committees manned (I chose my
> > word carefully) by a very narrow range of social-economic groups (mainly
> > more or less educated males, with secure jobs, fast cars and fat
> pensions).
> > With the utterly unsurprising results  that the mobility system they
> > ordered
> > up was the one that served them best: i.e., lots of roads for fast
> driving,
> > cheap gas, and plenty of free places to park. Bien sûr mon ami.   [...]
> >
> > Read more of this post: http://wp.me/p1fsqb-i3

> > sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> > SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
> > equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries
> > (the 'Global South').
> >

> --
> Ashok R.Datar
> Mumbai Environmental Social Network
> 20 Madhavi, Makarand Society, S.V.S.Marg, Mahim-400 016
> 98676 65107/0222 444 9212 see our website : www.mesn.org
>
> * I hear, then I forget.  I see, then I remember. I do, then I understand.*
> sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> (the 'Global South').

*“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“*

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627