[sustran] [World Streets] What do Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and World Streets have in common?

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sun Feb 27 02:37:01 JST 2011

WHAT DO TUNISIA, EGYPT, LIBYA AND WORLD STREETS HAVE IN COMMON?
Eric Britton, editor | 26 February 2011 at 17:04 | Categories: editorial,
media, paradigm change, social media | URL: http://wp.me/p1fsqb-i3

We try very hard to stay on topic in World Streets, not always easy since
our bailiwick is so vast. But there are times when, if we are to do our
self-assigned job, we need to look even broader yet.

One of the fundamental tenets of World Streets is that the decisions that in
the past have shaped the streets and mobility arrangements of our cities now
have to be sharply revised and brought into the realities of this very
different 21st century. In the past the shaping decisions and investments in
the sector were made in more or less closed committees manned (I chose my
word carefully) by a very narrow range of social-economic groups (mainly
more or less educated males, with secure jobs, fast cars and fat pensions).
With the utterly unsurprising results  that the mobility system they ordered
up was the one that served them best: i.e., lots of roads for fast driving,
cheap gas, and plenty of free places to park. Bien sûr mon ami.   [...]

Read more of this post: http://wp.me/p1fsqb-i3