[sustran] Re: UK High Speed Rail: Going very fast in the wrongdirection

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 10 04:03:36 JST 2011

Lee

I agree with you about costs. When the lower speed system is
dilapidated or otherwise inadequate
it doesn't seem appropriate to spend money on HSR first.

Also, you lucked out or you took Acela Regional instead of Acela
Express if your fare was "reasonable."
Walk-up fares on Acela Express can be as much as $130 US for 90 miles
(130 kms) between NYC and Philadelphia. Walk up fares for even the
Acela Regional are typically $90 US. Walk up fares between
Philadelphia and Wash DC are between $90 and $176 for 140 miless (210
kms). Fares of $1 per kilometer are indeed amongst the highest in the
world (not including mountain tourism trains and such).

Eric