[sustran] Re: UK High Speed Rail: Going very fast in the wrongdirection

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Wed Feb 9 12:24:45 JST 2011

HSR between Brussels and Paris knocked out all bout 1 flight each way a
day.  And has clearly deterred growth in air, car travel between many
city pairs in Europe, but has also induced travel.

The potential advantages for Asia is HSR could build travel on the
ground BEFORE air travel becomes hopelessly congested.

The bad news is we're talking great cost.  Also success in many
countries was boosted by 1) high road fuel prices 2) tolls on intercity
roads 3) initially low car ownership, i.e., starting early and 4) little
or no air travel competition.  India has  3)  but only some long
distance roads are tolled (ex Mumbai-Pune). Diesel prices are still
relatively low.  Above all, however, one has to recognize that HSR will
promote longer distance travel than otherwise, which is a mixed
blessing.

"All aboard"? I road Acela (our medium speed train) from Philadelphia to
Washington today, had power and wi-fi, very comfortable. The X2000 in
Sweden is similar. Neither are the fastest nor most expensive, both work
well.  Why not spend $$ in Asia making intercity rail at less than
breathtaking speeds work well?

Lee