[sustran] Re: UK High Speed Rail: Going very fast in the wrongdirection

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Wed Feb 9 03:53:41 JST 2011

At UC we have looked at the CO2 impacts of HSR in the US. Simple
result-- modest savings in those corridors where HSR makes sense (and
I'll leave that question there), provided trains are moderately to very
full and electricity is not all coal fired. Remember that in the time
frame (2030) we expect other modes to be less carbon intensive.

On the whole the impact ins SMALL because so little of total travel is
in the 100-1000 km range in dense corridors.  And while the CO2 savings
are reassuring, they do not constitute justification for HSR, rather
just a small cobenefit.

The paper is in 2011 TRB and will soon be on the ORNL web site where
energy-committee sponsored sessions are exhibited. Happy to send the
pdf.