[sustran] Delhi plans congestion charge to ease gridlock | The Guardian

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Dec 12 22:33:45 JST 2011

Sorry but I simply do not understand this.

Congestion charge schemes in my book have about as much place in cities in the Global South as PRT, monorails or Formula One races..

Yes of course, we need to create circumstances where there are a lot fewer cars and conditions for more effective non-car transport. But congestion charging reminds me of the phrase "Ambition Iago, ambition".

If we find in each city its own best combination of withdrawing road space from private car use, while at the same time putting parking supply and pricing in its rightful place (a lot easier to get the job done with a car that is not moving) then we already thereby achieve not only 100% of the objectives that CC might hope for, but a lot of other important improvements as swell.

Can we not put this bad idea behind us?  (Or alternatively you may wish to explain to me why I am so horribly wrong)

Eric Britton

PS. Get on board the 2012 Safe Streets Challenge at http://safestreetstrategies.wordpress.com/.

EcoPlan International
    Association loi de 1901

Eric Britton, Managing Director
Un projet de l'Association Ecoplan International (Loi de 1901)
8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  •  Paris 75006 France
+331 7550 3788  •  association at ecoplan.org    •  Skype newmobility
                   Sustainable Development, Business & Society | World Streets  | New Mobility Partnerships
                   Siret 304555295 00019  Arrêté du ministre de l’intérieur. 19 août 1975

         Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement