[sustran] Re: Proof-of-parking laws: what do you think?

ashok datar datar.ashok at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 20:22:12 JST 2011

Hello all,
there are always methods and ways by which people can cheat or beat the
laws and rules but that does not mean we cannot and should not have rules
for regulating parking. We can use better regulation and technology .
we must adopt parking regulations whereby there are sufficiently high and
variable tariff ( based on area, time, day and size of the car) and use
discipline, marking , use of technology to enhance the deterrence value. If
we can ensure that more than 90% compliance , we should nt worry for 10%
evasion,
this should apply to day time hourly parking and night time monthly parking
both these require simple and easily enforceable technologies and
regulations
just out of fear, we should not chicken out
this is one of the fairest method of charging private cars for their
private use of public road space
ashok datar

--
Ashok R.Datar
Mumbai Environmental Social Network

* I hear, then I forget.  I see, then I remember. I do, then I understand.*