[sustran] Re: personal rapid transit (PRT) news

Steve Raney steve_raney at cities21.org
Tue Aug 30 02:04:50 JST 2011

Carlos,

Consider brainstorming worst case outcomes for PRT and for other automated
technologies such as Google robocars. Imagining and describing worst case
outcomes can help prevent unintended negative consequences. For example, I
came across an "unintended consequences" brainstorm about Google robocars
from someone: "rich tech workers have a wifi-enabled robocar with a desk
inside the vehicle that serves as a productive mobile office, so they live
in vacation spots (Tahoe) and commute three hours at 90 mph to Google
Silicon Valley while working the whole way. Net energy use by rich commuters
goes up and social stratification increases."

As far as new PRT city designs. So far, what we've seen is
efficiency-improving, pedestrianization-increasing architectural
innovations:
http://www.ultraprt.net/cms/index.php?page=architecture-innovations   ,
http://www.ultraprt.net/cms/index.php?page=cantilever   ,
pedestrian mall PRT:
http://www.ultraprt.net/cms/index.php?page=culvert-cut-cover-w-glass   ,
http://www.ultraprt.net/cms/index.php?page=stations-inside-buildings   .

For PRT as a last mile solution, the outcome envisioned is pretty benign, in
that the last mile problem is something that the planning community has been
attempting to solve for years, in order to increase utilization of commute
alternatives. See Calthorpe's arguments to that effect:
http://www.ultraprt.net/cms/index.php?page=rave-reviews . The last mile
problem is a TODAY problem.  To me, last mile solutions can help bring about
a suburban green transformation:

Title: Efficient Edge Cities of the Future
ABSTRACT: A "story-format" roadmap is provided to reduce edge city
per-capita energy consumption by 50%. The roadmap provides an integrated
vision combining: multimodal transit, ridesharing, demand management, land
use, market forces, policy, technology, and paradigm re-thinking. Changing
away from an auto-centered, petroleum-based lifestyle represents a lifestyle
change, but not a sacrifice.
Web and GPS cell phones help create a "comprehensive new mobility" system to
make green transportation seamless and hassle-free. "Paid smart parking"
reduces solo commuting by 25%. "Low Miles residential communities" foster
green culture, where residents help each other to reduce carbon dioxide.
This green culture is created using the same powerful sociological marketing
principles that drive consumer society. Housing preference policies are used
to select new residents who will travel less and use green transportation.
Two-car families sell one car. As the real-estate gradually changes,
asphalt-dominated superblocks are transformed into walkable, New Urbanist
locales. Walking, biking, electric scooters, and Personal Rapid Transit
enable more than 50% of trips (commute, errands, recreation, etc.) to be
made without driving alone. Each of the nation's 200 35,000-employee edge
cities can be transformed into huge transit villages of two square miles or
more. Through this simple step-by-step plan, you'll save money, shed pounds,
meet neighbors, hang out in more lively places, and pay lower taxes. Housing
affordability, diversity, and un-housed-ness are grappled with. Full paper:
http://www.cities21.org/TRB_Efficient_Edge_Cities_4.pdf

- Steve (Silicon Valley, California)