[sustran] CLARIFICATION - Re: Examples of "green" airports?

GDRC|Hari Srinivas hsrinivas at gdrc.org
Fri Aug 19 22:16:30 JST 2011

Dear all,

I ought to have been more clearer in my query - my apologies. Judging
from the responses so far, one of the first steps is a clearer
definition of the very term, "green Airport" is in order, so that there
is common ground for discussion.

By "going green" - I essentially meant airports implementing initiatives
that reduced their impact on the environment - in terms of overall
resources consumed and in terms of wastes and emissions produced.

Examples of initiatives include energy efficiency (reducing energy use,
increasing renewable energy use); water efficiency and reducing waste
water generation; reducing wastes generated, separating and recycling
wastes; etc. - in other words impacting practically everything that
happens in an airport.

Of course, there is no one airport where all these things happen, but
some airports have gone the extra mile to implement many initiatives, or
a majority of airports at least have a garbage separation system in
place - all under a "Green Airport" or "Sustainable Airport" banner.

Sorry for that long-winded clarification :-) I was therefore looking for
examples of airports that have implemented a number of such initiatives.
Thanks for all the responses so far ...

Hari Srinivas

Coordinator, GDRC
KOBE, Japan