[sustran] Re: Examples of "green" airports?

Dharm Guruswamy dguruswamy at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 19 19:53:27 JST 2011

I agree. I think all airports should take common sense steps to ensure
sustainability. These include:

1) Offering recycling
2) Encouraging the use of public transportation
3) Requiring rental car companies and hotels to share shuttle buses
instead of running individual shuttle operations
4) Trying to make their terminals and other facilities as "green" as
possible

Some have pointed out (correctly) that the planes that fly into airports
are polluting and I agree. In addition, aviation forecasts call for
growth, but then again do forecasts for the number of automobiles and
heavy vehicles (e.g. trucks, buses). Please remember, much of the
developing world suffers from exceedingly poor air transportation. For
example, my wife missed her connection in Bangkok on the way to Sri
Lanka late at night. She was rerouted the next day via Kuala Lumpur and
Singapore because the next flight that day didn't leave until the
evening. Even though three airlines fly the route two of them (Cathay
Pacific and Thai) only fly four times a week and their flights leave
within an hour and a half of each other. Sri Lankan flies the route at
least daily but when they fly more than daily both flights leave in the
evening. This is service linking Colombo the only international airport
in a country of 20 million with Bangkok a major metropolitan area. Even
in Brazil there are over 1,000 flights a week between Rio and Sao Paolo
and in India there are over 800 flights a week between Delhi and Mumbai.
My only point is folks don't ding the poor people of the developing
world if all they want is to have the air service others in the
developing world already enjoy.

--
Dharm

--