[sustran] Re: Links and update!

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Aug 18 05:13:47 JST 2011

Subject: In support of the move to a more sustainable Kampala and a mobility
system to match.

Dear Amanda,

As agreed, after our call today, I took a bit of time to set up three web
sites in support of (a) the broader issue of how to bring (more) sustainable
transport to Kampala, and (b) the specific event of the forthcoming first
Car Free Day. All of that excellent and exciting stuff.  Here is what we
have thus far:

1.       Facebook Group page: A Facebook Group page to support all these
activities  now at http://www.facebook.com/groups/266190133393713/ with its
first 14 members. Now if our experience in these things is any guide, what
we now would like to do is to see if we can get 30-50 people who share our
concerns and goals into the group, so that we can start to share
information, tools and more generally collaborate in the context of
sustainable transport in Kampala and indeed in cities across Uganda and East
Africa.

2.       Streets of Kampala: I have also started to lay out what I think
can, with your joining in and taking ownership, a very good, even an
excellent blog to provide a major focal point for everything that you can
now start to do to move toward a more sustainable mobility system for
Kampala. You will find the working draft now at
http://streetsofkampala.wordpress.com/. Let me by way of quick first
introduction tell you what looks like some of the good and as yet less god
things about this site:

a.       It gives us a strong and proven frame for starting to get an
extended base of support and exchange in favor of both the overall
sustainable transport agenda, and of course for the forthcoming first World
Car Free Day,

b.      It is, I am told, reasonably attractive  and pretty efficient.

c.       It is also pretty easy to work with once you get the swing of
things, and I am there to help you until you are ready to take over for
yourselves.

d.      You may note that the main image changes each time someone comes
into the site. We are trying to give a feel for the great variety of street
conditions in Kampala. And you will see that much is missing. So please feel
free to pike in and add to it. Sharp visuals are very important in advancing
the sustainability agenda more generally

e.      If you scroll own a bit on the right column, you will see that there
is a gallery for the photos thus far collected under the heading Streets of
Kampala.

f.        And just below you will see the list in process of Key Sources And
References. Already quite useful, but like all the rest needs more and
better.

g.       There are a number of easy to use tools, including for citizen
reporting and information via mobile phones. But one thing at a time for
now.

3.       Editorial Team: We are now ready to develop our editorial team, and
for this I will need you to sign in, including  with a photo and some brief
background information. If you are ready to join, let me know and I can send
on the easy to use routine. Will take about 6 minutes of your time.

There you have it. I can give this a bit more time in the next two days, gut
then I am off for Car Free Day celebrations first in Taiwan (2) and then in
Guadalajara. This is going to keep me completely tied up until 16 Sept. But
then I will be back at my des and ready to do what I can to contribute to
your Car Free Day.

I look forward with real interest to your comments and suggestions on all
this. After all, The Streets of Kampala belong to you.

All the best/Eric

   Eric Britton, Editor / Managing Director

    <http://www.worldstreets.org/> World Streets /
<http://www.newmobility.org/> New Mobility Partnerships  /
<http://seminars.ecoplan.org/> Sustainability Seminar Series

   8, rue Jospeh Bara   75006 Paris France