[sustran] Re: Links and update!

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Aug 11 20:19:31 JST 2011

World Streets

Team Kampala: What a great initiative, and is always Lloyd's  suggestions
are excellent.

My own approach is complementary and not competitive to that he outines.
Specifically, I believe it each year that the organizers should have in mind
one specific project proposal/target  for the city, to make transportation
in and around the city safer, more affordable and more efficient.  That to
my mind is what a Car Free Day is all about, namely charting a way to the
future with a strong unified public voice.  The festivities are an important
part of this communications effort, but they need to be complemented by a
more strategic and focused approach.

Since it has been a couple of decades since I was last in Kampala it would
not be the appropriate in certain not useful for me to make any specific
proposals as far as this year's target strategies concerned.  But in a more
general sense, let me share with you my strongly held position that safe
walking in the city is the single most important target for any sustainable
transportation strategy.  Everybody walks, rich people walk less than poor
people, rich people have more non-walk options than poor people.  So safe
and agreeable walking is going to be a priority for all, and especially
important for all those who do not own their own car.  (Who can argue with
that?)

If you were to consider this approach for this year's event, let us call it
for now "A Walkable Kampala", one of the things I suggest you have in mind
is what happens the day after the Car Free Day festivities, what is the
process that you then propose to engage to create this walkable city.

And of course would be wonderful if on the occasion of your second, Kampala
Car Free Day in 2012, you the organizers would be able to report the
progress made over the last year as part of your festivities, and map out a
strategy and tactics for the year ahead.

You may or may not go for the concept of walking is a priority for the year
ahead, but what is important is that you have a strategy and a very specific
proposal and plan for achieving it.  If I can help you in this in any way,
you know where to find me.

Let us get a great slogan.

All the best/Eric

PS.  Over the next several weeks I am involved in Car Free Day events in
several cities in Taiwan and with the Car Free Network in Guadalajara.  I
wonder if it makes any sense for me to see it in both those cases we can get
some kinds of congratulatory messages to Kampala on the occasion of your
First Car Free Day.  Let me know if and how you might want to go ahead with
this.

   Eric Britton, Editor / Managing Director

    <http://www.worldstreets.org/> World Streets /
<http://www.newmobility.org/> New Mobility Partnerships  /
<http://seminars.ecoplan.org/> Sustainability Seminar Series

   8, rue Jospeh Bara   75006 Paris France