[sustran] Pedestrian Street in Mumbai, India

Jains alok.priyanka at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 10:50:37 JST 2011

Friends,

We are proposing a pedestrian street in Mumbai as a part of private
sector led urban regeneration project. There is a requirement to
provide exactly same amount of "Public Streets" as they are existing
at present and this proposed pedestrian street falls into that area.
Concern has been expressed over terming this as a "pedestrian street"
as this street area is part of the public street area requirement. Can
vehicular access on Public Street be restricted by a private
development? We do not mind terming this street as limited access
street. Does anybody know of the laws or statutory requirements
governing this? Any international examples in this context would also
be useful.

Also, as part of putting a self-enforcing mechanism, we were looking
at putting bollards (pneumatic or fixed) at all entry points on this
pedestrian / limited access street. Is that permissible?

Regards
Alok